Thursday 8 March 2007

Oblong

When I was younger it was definitely an Oblong. I can’t say that that’s true for everyone, though I quite hope it is. No matter how you looked at it: longingly, between your legs or through your fingers, it was.
As time went on things got serious: the oblong was replaced by a newer shape. I had been paying attention yet I barely noticed it sneak (cockily mind you) in to the everyday-to-day .Had I and I would’ve been tough to mollify.
Now, why? I wonder. The square needs no alias and it’s not as though oblong is more effortful to say. Had we been lied to again? It seems curious to be weaned on to ‘rectangle’- the prestige is, perhaps, too much for a child to bear.


I, plainly, like oblong more than rectangle.
I should say it more.
But just as I try to remember, I always forget.

3 comments:

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

As I was rather recently groping within the bowels of my brain for a word of profound obscurity - as I am wont to do - I happened upon the word.

Oblong

I think its worth and nature lend themselves to underuse. Some things are better unsullied, strong though the urge to do otherwise may be.

videodrone said...

Shapes are scary.