Friday 16 March 2007

How Kitchen Things Get Broken

Ooh! I know a parable:

There was once a salt cellar who, for aesthetic and curious reasons (kicks?), fancied dressing as a pepper-half. The ink for painting extra holes was made with soy sauce for colour, a mite of Marmite, and a little flour to make a good paste. It was done with great tenderness.
Along came a human, fresh from the final argument with a woman. He snatched up the salt cellar and waggled it fluently over his salmon and sauce. Disgusting white rocks for pepper.
“Christ almighty, woman, why is there salt in this pepper cellar? And with my cholesterol? It’s blue bloody murder” he spat. And lobbed the salt cellar at the woman and missed and hit the glassy vase of cut daffodils on the side. The vase exploded, and, when the salt cellar hit the floor, it exploded too, in a storm of daffodils.

4 comments:

Bic Biros & Moldova said...

A short but frighteningly sweet fable. I'll certainly never pose as a pepper cellar.

videodrone said...

I second that Adam. Heartily.

On a different note, we need more Branches made. Make more branches everyone. For every post you leave leave two. Just to keep up morale.
I was meant to hear about the ELC today, but they havn't got back to us yet. So yet another few days of nervous anticipation.

Bic Biros & Moldova said...

I'm with Patrick on the Branch-leaving, morale n'all.

Jack Gander said...

I threw pepper over my left shoulder a few weeks ago. I was frantic for a little while. Nothing seemed to happen, and I let it go. But looking back on it, I *was* stricken by a mystery sickness soon after. The same mystery sickness that afflicts me still. All I can think of to say on the matter, if you'll forgive me, is a sorrowful "whoops".

"We're Both Dead Now, Alice", as some people once said.