Friday 1 June 2007

Beat

(abridged)

This is a heart…
It’s got this beat… as you can see it consists of four main compartments and this beat… to the left of it we can find an executed sprawl of vessels arriving and departing about it.
It moves frequently, periodically and when it doesn’t we’ll be atoned. (Otherwise, we’ll presume that it’s still got that beat.)
It doesn’t look anything like those hearts you see in shops, the shape cakes are made into, the ones Saint Valentine coos over. They parade as hearts though, ‘coz that’s what they are: Symbols of cardiac muscle in cardiac sac. But more importantly, for the card industry, symbols of Love.
When this age old association began, between one organ and our most analysed emotion, is unclear though I suspect it was the Romans. I’m sure many will disagree, but an organ in both appearance and function is far from romantic and, kinda, bereft of passion- imagine a bloody, bloody heart with a filthy beat being tied with a bow and given to you. Perhaps with a kiss and an apology or left secretly on your doorstep or in some cases backing up an impromptu proposal.
Maybe, pre anatomy the heart really did harbour love and hate, it probably did look like the ones fluffy bears hold but that isn’t what made me ask the question.
I feel Love in my Guts, some skin, these achin’ bones and, now and then, the back of my head. But in the heart? Not that I know of. Even if it were all in the heart, the consumer version lacks the only bit of the heart that could keep ardour & fervour. It doesn’t have that beat.

9 comments:

videodrone said...

Well some good points are made here.
My theory is that love is mainly in the head not the heart, as some kind of emotional response to the chemical activity brought about by the genitals... which of course sounds a bit clinical but then think of your favourite partner's sex organ/s and remember the first time you tentatively touched them, or even just the first time you imagined them... you see? Romantic. I of course wouldn't know about such things, but I have read some dirty books.

Bic Biros & Moldova said...

Sometimes it's in the eyes.

Jack Gander said...

I've read about love.

Do you know anything about shooting pains sort of... down the left arm?

Is that love?

Bic Biros & Moldova said...

Sometimes it's in the left arm.

Hair said...

Would none of you be pleased to receive an actual heart organ with a ribbon on your doorstep? Really you wouldnt? I'd obviously not be the receiver; I'd be far more likely to do this to someone else (and that is as it should be), but I think it would be a good thing.
If none of you agree I am once again disappointed at the real world. I want an eyeball for my birthday.

Jack Gander said...

You can have an eyeball (and that's a near-promise) if you send me a heart. Has to be human, mind, as I am, after all, vegetarian. (Super-Vegetarian).

Arteries make good ribbons sometimes.

Hair said...

I'm relieved. I think I can make it through the night now.

Hair said...

Oh, and by the way, to mark the occasion that I am not at, I drank about the same amount last night (this morning) as I did at the Green Cat Festival one year ago. And judging by my knees and elbows I performed about the same dance. Luckily this time there was no one to film it. Nobody slapped me. Sob.

Jack Gander said...

Could you walk? With your legs, I mean.

I hope you saved some for the sunday waltz. That's when the guff really hits the propellerer.